Authors: Azra K. Nurkic, Chelsea Raubenheimer, Bridget Lavin
– 1 in 29 Americans has now tested positive for COVID-19 (compared to 1 in 78 in July)
– Every minute of last week, approximately 100 people in the U.S. were diagnosed with COVID-19. Every minute, 1 person died from the disease.
– U.S. surpassed 11 million cumulative cases this week, adding more than 1 million cases in this week alone
– With 246,083 deaths, and the continuous surge, US has set a new daily record of reported cases: 181,196 on November 13
– S.Dakota, Nevada and Nebraska are the three U.S. states with high hospitalizations rates, each seeing case and hospitalization surges this week
– Iowa is currently experiencing an exponential growth in cases with 1 in 734 residents testing positive last week alone.
– 1,279 Iowans are currently hospitalized for COVID-19, which is 1 in every 2,467 residents of the state
– The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics are activating the first phase of their surge plan, which includes adding intensive care unit beds