Authors: Azra K. Nurkic, Chelsea Raubenheimer, Bridget Lavin
– 1 in 25 Americans has now tested positive for COVID-19 (compared to 1 in 78 in July)
– This week’s 7-day average of daily cases is 2.5 times higher than the peak in July
– This week in the United States, more than 1.2M people tested positive for COVID-19 and more than 10K people died.
–New record of daily cases was reached on November 20 when 196,004 new cases were confirmed
– U.S. recorded a +29% rise in new deaths in past week. With a total number of deaths now close to 257K, 1 in 1,202 Americans has died of COVID-19 (compared to 1 in 1,856 three months ago).
-Approximately 1 in 47 persons who tested positive, has died of COVID-19 in the U.S.
– 40% of all COVID-19 deaths are persons in long-term care facilities. In 16 states, share of deaths in LTCs account for over half of COVID-19 deaths.
-While the national average COVID-19 fatality rate is 2.2, LTCs reach a record 15% fatality rate.
– Many LTCs suffered from devastating impacts of COVID-19 like in Menolo Park and Paramus, the two long-term Veterans Memorial Homes in New Jersey where every 3rd resident died.